Thursday, January 12, 2012

Confessions of a out-of-it Writer

I'm currently taking a creative writing class at BYU, and I have come to a sad conclusion:

I have become a very lazy writer.  The first class and first assignment in creative writing were all devoted to creating the getting to know a specific character.  Do you know how much thought I put into the assignment?  A lot.  I wrote 5 notebook pages.  

In the story I've been working on for a couple of weeks, do you want to guess how much effort I put into creating those characters.  Not very much.  I mean, I have an idea of who they are, and why they are like that, but it's very vague.

I think this will be a very good class for me.  What I think happened was when I decided I wanted to be an editor, I kind of dropped the writing thing, because I knew I didn't want to be an author for a living.  But I forget sometimes that to help other writers, I need to be brushed up on the techniques a writer uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment